EMDRIA-Approved training in EMDR Therapy -- the complete course, including all parts as well as the required consultation.
49 CEs (optional)
This is a hands-on clinical skills training for using EMDR and integrating it with your psychotherapy approach -- with adults as well as children. This research-supported top-of-the-line training program features:
- Exceeds EMDRIA's criteria for training in EMDR Therapy.
- No "Parts" or "Levels" -- this is the whole package.
- 52 contact hours over several months to support mastery.
- Two full pre-EMDR days on trauma treatment approach and interventions.
- Small group size (max of 30, most courses smaller).
- Instructor to participant ratio of at least 1:10.
- Text book and other materials included.
- Follow-up group consultation sessions included.
- Competitive cost.
- On-site training option minimizes travel costs for your group.
The training program involves lecture, demonstration, in-class practice, and on-the-job practice with your clients. This is an experiential training, and part of the learning is to practice the interventions with other participants.
Training can be provided at your location. Scheduling is flexible and can be designed to suit the needs of your organization or group.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify clients who are ready for EMDR; and prepare clients for EMDR.
- Conduct an EMDR session.
- Problem-solve a session that is not going smoothly.
- Utilize EMDR with a wide range of clients whose presenting problems are in some way related to trauma and/or loss.
- Integrate EMDR into a comprehensive trauma-informed treatment approach.
Instructors: Ricky Greenwald, PsyD | Andrew Seubert, LPC | Mary L. Froning, PsyD | Annie Monaco, LCSW-R | Judy Greenberg, MEd | Kriss Jarecki, LCSW-R | Elizabeth Davis, LCAT
Greenwald, R. (2007). EMDR Within A Phase Model Of Trauma-Informed Treatment. NY: Haworth. (included with course materials)
Shapiro, F. (2001). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic principles, protocols, and procedures, 2nd Edition. NY: Guilford.
Who may attend: EMDR training is open to mental health professionals who are licensed (or certified or registered) by their state for independent practice. The training is also open to advanced graduate students, interns, and other mental health professionals on a licensure track, with a letter of support from their supervisor. The Trauma Institute/Child Trauma Institute or the Registrar of your local training can answer your questions regarding eligibility for training.
Time to completion: Normally, you'll complete your EMDR training with your group, as scheduled. However, if you should miss one or more days, you'll have a year from the first class session to make it up. Up to an additional year may be allowed in exceptional circumstances, and with the approval of TI & CTI.
- Spring, 2017, Northampton, MA. March 13-14; April 3-6; May 1; May 23 (morning only). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Ricky Greenwald, PsyD.
- Spring, 2017, State College, PA. March 24-25; April 28-29; May 26-27; June 23. Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Andrew Seubert, LPC. Contact Andrew Seubert for schedule and registration info.
- Spring 2017, Buffalo, NY. March 29-30; May 4-5; May 8-9; June 6, July 18. Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Annie J. Monaco, LCSW-R. Pre-approval by Annie Monaco is required for this training. Please contact her before registering.
- Spring, 2017, Saratoga Springs. 8:30 - 4:30 March 30-31; May 2-5; June 5; June 26 (morning only). CE credits are included for all licensed participants. Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Ricky Greenwald, PsyD. and/or other TI & CTI faculty.
- Summer, 2017, Seneca Lake, NY. June 9-10; July 14-15; August 18-19; September 22. Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Andrew Seubert, LPC. Contact Andrew Seubert for schedule and registration info.
- Summer, 2017 (CANCELED AND WILL BE RESCHEDULED AT A LATER DATE), Queens, NY, July 12-14, week of July 24 TBD video conference, August 10-13, September 30, October TBD video conference.Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Annie J. Monaco, LCSW-R. Pre-approval by Annie Monaco is required for this training. Please contact her before registering.
- Fall, 2017, State College, PA. September 8-9; October 13-14; November 10-11; December 8. Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Andrew Seubert, LPC. Contact Andrew Seubert for schedule and registration info.
- Fall, 2017, Northampton, MA. September 11-12; October 2-5; November 6; December 6 (morning only). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Ricky Greenwald, PsyD.
- Fall 2017, Olean, NY. September 14-15; October 10-13; November 16; December 7 (morning only). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Kriss Jarecki, LICSW-R.
- Fall, 2017, Washington, DC area. September 16-17; September 30 (9-11 only); October 14-15; October 21-22; November 18 (9-1:30 only); December 16 (9-1:30 only). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Mary L. Froning, PsyD. Go to Dr. Froning's web site for registration info.
- Winter 2017-2018, Buffalo, NY. December 7-8 (8:30-5:00); January 25-26 (8:30-5:00); January 29-30 (8:30-5:00); February 27 (9:00-3:00); March 27 (9:00-3:00). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructors: Annie J. Monaco, LCSW-R, and Elizabeth Davis, LCAT. Pre-approval by Annie Monaco is required for this training. Please contact her before registering.
Special Needs: Requests to local sponsor/registrar for special accommodations.
Otherwise, only closed trainings are scheduled (e.g. for an agency or institution). To schedule a training for your group, contact the Trauma Institute/Child Trauma Institute. Individuals may also organize trainings and receive a discount on tuition.
Blog post: Should I learn EMDR or PC?
A note about the cost of training and why to choose this training: At about $1,500/participant, this training represents a considerable investment. The cost is so high because of the instructor:participant ratio and the number of hours. At some locations a bit is added to cover instructor travel. Even so, the cost is considerably less than comparable programs, while offering more materials, small group size, and the 10 consultation hours that are required for completion of EMDR training. Also, the Trauma Institute/Child Trauma Institute trainings can be offered at your location, reducing or eliminating your travel-related costs.
Most importantly, though, this training is designed to maximize your ability to get good at doing EMDR, and at conducting treatment so that EMDR can be used appropriately. EMDR is a complex intervention that takes a lot of training and supervised practice to really master. We pioneered the full-package EMDR training, which has become the standard nationwide. We believe that our program represents an excellent value for your training investment.
When shopping for an EMDR training program, it's important to compare quality, cost, and rates of completion. These all vary quite a bit, and a training program that looks good at first glance may have extensive hidden costs and/or poor completion rates. A "good deal" is not so good if the investment is wasted.
- Quality. We believe our program is of the highest quality, and our training model has been widely emulated. However, there are no data that directly demonstrate the superiority of any EMDR basic training program over another.
- Cost. The cost of our program is all up front and transparent, and includes the text book and all required consultation. This is the full package; there are no additional costs.
- Rates of Completion. Since we started keeping track in 2004, of the 700+ therapists who joined one of our EMDR training programs, 98.4% completed on schedule (typically within 4-8 months) and 99.1% completed within the following year (typically within 18 months), as of 9/2013.
Certification in EMDR: The EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) offers a Certification credential for advanced EMDR-trained therapists. Certification requires completion of an EMDRIA-approved training program (such as this one), practice with clients, EMDR-focused consultation, and continuing education approved by EMDRIA. Information about Certification can be found on the EMDRIA web site.